For The Walt Disney Company / ESPN, we are looking for a Legal Counsel (fulltime).
In this exciting role you will work closely with the Principal Counsel Sports EMEA and (local) sports related business teams and act as point of contact for EMEA sports related matters. This includes providing legal counsel, legal risk assessment and legal/commercial guidance in the ordinary course of business (e.g. sports rights acquisitions, tenders).
What are you going to do?
- Drafting, negotiating and review of (multi-territory) sports rights acquisition agreements.
- Successful implementation (and guardian) of Sports Rights Acquisition Policy, including workflows, pipelines and minimum rights.
- Responsible for up-to-date rights overview(s) and structured Sports folder(s) on shared drive.
- Manage and coordinate tender processes (e.g. by reviewing tender documentation, coordinating with the sports related business team and ESPN US as necessary, setting timelines, collecting required information and advice on packaging and bidding tactics).
- Monitor applicable legal developments on a pan-regional basis but also within the relevant territory (ies).
- Train/educate and keep sports related legal and business teams up-to-date on any sports related matters (e.g. by having periodic update calls).
- Strengthen internal and external relationships in ways that benefit the business.
- Work closely with sports related business teams to develop deal-negotiating strategy and deal structure.
- Work closely with lawyers within Disney’s legal team to develop an understanding of the applicable legal and regulatory framework for sports related business (e.g. privacy, media law)
- Keep all legal sports related templates up to date and reflective of any legal changes.
Who are you?
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in company commercial law and legal and business affairs, but candidates outside this range will be considered if they can demonstrate the relevant competencies (experience within the media and/or sports industry is essential).
- Firm knowledge of English/Common law.
- Excellent skills in legal writing and drafting complex agreements.
- First-rate social skills in operating within complex, creative-driven environments.
- Exceptional communication skills and proactive problem solving skills.
- Ability to juggle competing priorities on a daily basis and managing outside advisers in a cost effective manner.
- Ability to build relationships and be effective across many different cultures and in a variety of working environments.
- Fluent in Dutch and English, both verbally and in writing.
- Interest in sports is an absolute must.